Friday, January 29, 2010

Intimacy




What is Intimacy?

What comes into mind when you hear intimacy?  A romantic date? Dinner by candle light?  A walk by the beach at sunset?  A very warm conversation?  Sex?  The answer can be all of the above.  


I define intimacy as physical, emotional and spiritual connection between my partner and me.  It doesn't always have to be physical to be able to connect to ones partner.  It's not just in mere sex that you can feel the connection.  A touch or perhaps a hug on your partner can sometimes make him feel secure and at ease.  A conversation of how ones day can make the other feel your concern.


Over the years that I am with my husband of almost 2 years and as my steady boyfriend of 7 years, our relationship started off immaturely.  We usually fight over things that are so simple.  Usually we fight over text messages and some I don't even recall.  We've had countless fights and make ups, but we always make it a point that we talk about the issue at hand and make a compromise. 


Communication

This is one key in getting the intimacy process started.  Talking and conversing with my husband makes us feel connected.  Our daily conversations has helped us know what each other wants and needs.  From there, we work things out in providing each others needs, meet each others expectations. 


Bonding

Another key to a good marital intimacy is to share things you enjoy doing together.  We usually bond in our own room. No, it's not just sex we are talking about here, but the time we spend in the room just talking, cuddling, reading books we both love.  Even enjoying taking turn in sitting in front of our personal computer just to login to Facebook and play Cafe world and Farmville is already bonding for us!  We also bond through eating. Believe it or not guys but we do well in this.  Sharing the things we love to do in common can be a form of bonding and hence being intimate with each other.


Prayer

My husband is not the prayerful type of man.  But through talks and explanations we were able get to being a Christ centered marriage.  I always pray to God for my husband to be what God wanted him to be.  I also pray for myself to what God wanted me to be for my husband.  Having said this, we are giving God the wheels, the captain's seat of our married lives.  I belive that through Christ, He will guide us to the path where everything will work out fine, come what may.


Intimacy my friends takes a lot of work.   A lot of marriages fail because they lack intimacy and the lack of effort to achieve such.  My advice is, take the courage to change, go out of your comfort zones.  After all intimacy is all about sharing each other!

4 comments:

  1. very well said. but there are some uncertainties...that even a loving or an in love individual could hardly explain...but well….it depends on how intimacy is handled…but others they harass intimacy to the 10th level…..yah know what I mean?!…..hope a lot will learn from your blog.
    how about those who need an interpreter?? Do you provide =P

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous.. I will work on the interpretation of my blog. Visit my blog often for updates! Thank you for the wonderful comment. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. That's very true. Bonding communication with respect and prayer will make it work.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very good advice, especially to young people which commonly mistaken or misinterpreted the true meaning of love and the one you called intimacy in a relationship... The difference of that intimacy from lust...Yeah, sometimes it's so hard to explain as we don't know how we are being blinded by our feelings...Well all I can say is, enjoy the feeling of being in love...touch, hugs and kisses are just some kinds of intimacy...yes, it's definitely alright but to do the other one which is to sleep with someone you think you're truly in love with outside of wedlock...uhuh...it's definitely dangerous and not good...and it's unchristian!..I still prefer to stick on old fashion way. You know what I mean...It's still good to put limitations.

    ReplyDelete