Sunday, January 17, 2010

Healings from a Wheelchair








"Get up, pick up your mat that once carried you."



I attended mass yesterday and was seated near a post and cannot see the priest. Luckily there are a lot of LED tv's mounted on the wall, cameras all focused at the altar so I can still see the altar. I can now participate and listen as the priest delivers his homily about miracles.

He was sharing his experience when Fr. Suarez, a healing priest performed a healing mass at the Trinoma chapel last Saturday January 16, 2010 who has healed hundreds who went. Bringing all hopes of being healed by him.

There was one experience he mentioned that struck me the most. He saw a boy of not more than 16 years old with his father and his grandfather, both in a wheelchair. Both patients have heart failure, both hoping to be healed. They waited patiently in line from 2pm until the healing mass began at 4pm. He went over to them and asked the boy where they lived and the boy answered, they are from Marikina. So he thought that they left home early before lunch so they can attend the healing mass. He asked again if they've had lunch or if he felt tired of standing in line and not eating a single food to replenish his energy. The boy answered, "ito po ang sakripisyo na maibibigay ko para sa tatay ko at sa lolo ko" ("this is the only sacrifice I can offer my father and grandfather").


What great love!

When I heard his story, I had a teary eye as I reflect on the homily. Often times we always think of ourselves when we attend the healing mass. Asking God to perform miracles on me. But when I heard this boy's sacrifice for his father and grandfather. It made me think how selfish I am to just think of myself.

Listening to the priest's reflection on this situation, he said that very often we let the illness carry us. We can't do this, we can't do that. But what Jesus did to the paralytic he said, "Rise, pick up your mat and go home. Your sins are forgiven." The priest read a quote from an author, whom I can't remember. He said that this author has beutifully interpreted what Jesus was trying to say to the paralytic. "Get up, pick up your mat that once carried you." In this quote he connected the boy's sacrifice for his father. He offered himself to carry them. He said that it was the boy and his love that healed his father and his grandfather.

So selfless, so much love.

I am healed from my selfishness. 

To the boy who made me realize this, thank you.




 

2 comments:

  1. its just hard to let go of selfishness at times..this is a good read..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. d@rkl@dy, very true.. it's really very hard to let go of ones selfishness but I'd like to try to not be from now on.. =D

    ReplyDelete